Cupcaitering

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Lemon Chia Seed Protein Pancakes

One of my favourite things about breakfast is that it's the only meal of the day where it's ok to eat something sweet. Now, having the biggest sweet tooth in the world, this really appeals to me. However, it's also the only meal of the day where beyond meat and eggs, there aren't many options that aren't simple carbs. I'm currently trying to cut back my gluten for a little dietary experiment but last night I decided that  I really wanted pancakes for breakfast. So, I found a low carb pancake recipe to begin with.

The other part of this pancake story dates back to Monday. I was sitting in my Methods of Development class and we were discussing a project that was aimed at helping farmers move away from poppy growing in Pakistan. Well, all I could think about was lemon poppyseed anything! Once again, a burden of the sweet tooth - my mind is often derailed by sweets. I didn't have poppy seeds but I did have chia seeds, which are close enough. Plus, they're healthy!

The results of this little experiment were quite delicious, plus, I was totally full and will likely stay full for quite some time after just a few pancakes because of the protein packed punch (yay for alliteration!). I will warn you, the texture is not quite the same as regular pancakes, but I really liked it. They were still fluffy and the almonds added a subtle flavour.



Lemon Chia Seed Protein Pancakes

1 cup almond meal
2 tbsp unflavoured protein powder (I used pea protein)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 to 1/2 almond milk (or regular milk, or water)
zest of 1 small lemon
juice of half lemon
chia seeds (I didn't measure, just threw some in until it looked good to me)

Directions
1. Combine almond meal, protein powder, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
2. Melt butter in microwave, add eggs, vanilla, and almond milk and whisk all together.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients, stirring until just before it is combined.
4. Throw in the lemon zest, juice and chia seeds and stir a tiny bit more until incorporated.
5. In a pre-heated (medium heat) and oiled pan, pour pancakes and cover until they cook enough to flip them. They won't bubble like regular pancakes, but you should be able to tell when it's ready to flip.
6. Serve warm with toppings of your choice. I ate them with raspberry jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment